Cathay Ind Twitter

Student Guardian Visa - subclass 580


International students studying in Australia on a student visa may require a guardian if they are under 18 years of age. There may also be exceptional circumstances where a student over 18 years of age may need a guardian for religious or cultural reasons.

In what are known as 'bilateral benefit' cases, it is possible for a non-relative (such as a bodyguard or nanny) to be granted such a visa. It is usually possible to have only one student guardian in respect of a student, but in 'bilateral benefit' cases, it may be possible to have more than one person granted a Student Guardian Visa in respect of a student.

This visa is mainly used to allow an adult relative of a student to accompany and live with the student in Australia as a companion and guardian.